Battlefield 2042 has a plethora of new features ranging from wingsuist to the new weapon plus cycle. There is also a new Specialists system. If you've been a long-time Battlefield fan, you will be aware of the old class system where you could choose only from four set classes, each featuring its own weapons and equipment.
The main issue with the old class system was the exclusivity of the weapons and equipment, and restrictions to them. Each class had a selection of weapons to choose from, and players were restricted from choosing any other weapon. For instance, assault rifles were associated with Assault Class, while the LMGs were tied to the Support Class.
While this feature gave every class its own "personality", it restricted players from choosing the weapon of their choice. In Battlefield 2042, The new Specialists system replaces the classes and gives players full freedom of choice.
The new Specialists system is similar to Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. There are Specialists with unique names, looks, abilities, and weapons. Yes, they have the same weapons, but you can still customize your loadout with the weapons YOU like.
Each specialist has one unique Speciality and Trait, but the rest of the loadout is fully customizable, allowing you to choose whatever weapon you wish to take with you to the battlefield. This allows players to keep the character-specific special abilities without using the weapons assigned by the game.
All the specialists in the game are directly tied to Battlefield 2042's main storyline. These specialists are considered Non-Patriated. Non-Patriated are the people who lost their countries and have had their homes destroyed due to a lack of basic life necessities such as food and water. The Non-Patriated are split between both the USA and Russia. These people fight for resources in hopes of one day re-establishing their country and ultimately homes back to how they were initially.
There are four specialists revealed so far, with six more to be revealed in the future when the game releases. The following are the four specialists and their respective abilities and traits.
- Webster Mackay
Mackay is a Canadian-born ex-military, lone wolf survivalist who fights for the Non-Patriated. Mackay is known for his Assault class.
- Special Ability: Mackay's special ability is the 'Grappling Hook,' where the character fires a rope that attaches to surfaces. When attached, the rope is retracted, which pulls the player towards the point of attachment.
- Trait: Mackay's trait is called 'Nimble' that allows him to move a lot faster while aiming down sights, along with other speed-related advantages.
- Maria Falck
Maria Falck is essentially a Medic support class character. She is a skilled non-patriated Medic with a primary objective of finding her son named David. David is also a part of the non-patriated organization that spreads across continents.
- Special Ability: Falck's special ability is called 'Syrette Pistol', which is a unique pistol that fires a syringe at the squad members to heal them. If the same pistol is fired at an enemy player, it will do damage.
- Trait: Falck's trait is called 'Combat Surgeon.' With the help of this trait, players can revive their fallen allies with full health.
- Pyotr "Boris" Guskovsky
Guskovsky is a Russian-born engineer who holds sound knowledge of the weapons and the tech on the Task Force. He is a self-motivated individual and seeks to acquire control of the chaotic world. Even though he is a good team member, his true motives are always unclear.
- Special Ability: Guskovsky's special ability is the 'SG-36 Sentry System' using which he can deploy a sentry gun that can automatically detect and shoot enemies within a certain area.
- Trait: Guskovksy's trait can sometimes lead to people reporting the player controlling his character because of his trait - Sentry Operator. The trait allows players to spot an enemy target when a deployed sentry gun locks onto the enemy in range.
- Wikus "Casper" Van Daele
When you look at Wikis, you can tell that this is your typical Recon soldier. Recon is a more serious character and does not make friends easily. However, his will to fight for a better tomorrow is firm.
- Special Ability: Wikus has an ability called 'OV-P Recon', which is drone that spots nearby mobile targets and disorients them using an EMP Blast. The drone can also be used to designate targets for lock-on weapons.
- Movement Sensor: Wikus possesses an extraordinary trait called 'Movement Sensor' that alerts the players of the approaching enemies.
That is all the information we have on the new specialist system in Battlefield 2042. We will be sure to cover more once the game is out on October 22, 2021, for PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.