Perks, and the extra abilities and attributes they offer, play a key role in the outcome of each online Call of Duty match, as they grant players certain bonuses. But, as with any new Call of Duty game, Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 will handle Perks differently.
In Modern Warfare 2, players can build a Perk Package composed of four Perks: two Base, one Bonus, and one Ultimate. The Base perks are always active. Meanwhile, the Bonus and Ultimate Perks are earned at the four-minute and eight-minute intervals. Finally, you can earn Bonus and Ultimate Perks faster by playing well and obtaining a high score.
Here's a quick rundown of all the Perks in Modern Warfare 2:
Basic Perks in Modern Warfare 2
- Overkill - Lets you carry two primary weapons
- Double Time - Doubles Tactical Spring duration and 30% crouch movement speed increase
- Battle Hardened - Makes you immune to Snapshot Grenades. Minimizes the effect of enemy Flash, Stun, EMP, Gas Grenades, and Shock Sticks
- Scavenger - Lets you pick up supplies from dead enemies
- E.O.D - Significantly lowers damage taken from non-killstreak explosives. Picking up live grenades resets their fuse timers.
- Tracker - Allows you to see enemy footprint trails and death markers. Hides Kill markers from the enemy team
- Pitcher - Gives trajectory preview of any equipment thrown
- Extra Tactical - Grants bonus Tactical point
Bonus Perks in Modern Warfare 2
- Resupply - Bonus Lethal with 25-second gradual Equipment recharge
- Spotter - Lets you see and highlight enemies through walls. Enables hacking of Claymores, Proximity Mines, C4, and Trophy Systems
- Cold-Blooded - Prevents you from being seen by enemy targeting systems such as thermals
- Fast Hands - Improves reload, swap, and equipment use times
- Quick Fix - Killing enemies and holding objectives regenerates health
- Focus - Lets you Hold Breath longer and minimizes flinching when you're aiming down sights
Ultimate Perks in Modern Warfare 2
- High Alert - Pins you whenever an enemy player spots you first
- Ghost - You will be undetectable by UAVs, Portable Radars, and Heartbeat Sensors
- Hardline - Lowers Killstreak cost by one kill and Scorestreak cost by 125
- Overclock - Lets you store one more Field Upgrade charge and increases charge rate by 40%
- Survivor - You get one self-revive per life
- Birds' Eye - You can reveal enemy direction on the minimap using UAV and Radar pings
We're curious to find out how these Perk Packages will work in round-based Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer modes. Thankfully, we won't have to wait for too long. The Modern Warfare 2 beta is underway through next week while the game itself will launch on October 28.